503: Metabolism and Neuro-nutritional Strategies – Denmark
Start: 13th September 2019 @ 09:00am
End: 15th September 2019 @ 15:00pm
- An introduction to the digestive, immune, endocrine and renal systems
- Vitamins and minerals
- Fueling your activity
- The basics of energy transfer
- Phosphate bond energy
- Energy systems and expenditure
- Energy expenditure during physical activity
- Body composition and weight control
- Principles of weight control: Diet and physical activity
- The purpose of performance nutrition
- Glucose regulation
- Proteins, fats and carbs in the real world
- Performance enhancers
- Fasting blood glucose, ketones and fuel shifting
- Fuel usage and exercise intensity
- Designing a nutrition template
- Nutrition destress
- Body composition change
The following three textbooks are fundamental for the Carrick Institute Human Performance program as they cover the basics of human physiology.
McArdle WD, Katch FI, Katch VL. Exercise Physiology: Nutrition, Energy, and Human Performance 8th edition. Wolters Kluver 2014
- This textbook provides a comprehensive view of the systems in the body during exercise. All topics from module 2, 3, and 4 are covered in this textbook.
Bear MF, Conners B, Paradiso M. Neuroscience – Exploring the Brain 4th edition. Wolters Kluwer 2016
- This textbook provides a comprehensive description of the structure and function of the brain and nervous system. All topics from module 5 are covered in this textbook.
Enoka RM. Neuromechanics of Human Movement 5th edition. Human Kinetics 2015.
- Building on the fundamentals, this textbook provides an in-depth look at neural and biomechanical control of human movement. It is a great addition to the works of McArdle, Katch and Katch, and Bear, Conners and Paradiso.
Note: For each flipped classroom lesson, there will be select research papers included for discussion or as supplemental material.
Course Contact Name